Saturday, June 14, 2014

Day #14 Flag Day

It's flag day!

Not a day we have a big party or cookout or anything.

But it is a day to stop and think about where your heart is in regards to this great country we are blessed to live in.

Sure, there is a lot of not-so-great stuff that happens here--just watch the news, but i believe the news is only reporting the bad stuff; and there is a whole lot more good stuff going on than bad.

Back to the flag.  And patriotism.  I'm a little disturbed, for instance, when I'm at an event and the national anthem is sung and only a few people place their hand over their heart or remove their hat.  I was taught in school to do this as a sign of respect for our country.  Maybe I was only taught that in Catholic School?  I'm not going to jump all over Public School here, but do they still teach kids to respect their country?

This worries me.......do kids still recite the Pledge of Allegiance in schools?

Now my anxiety is kicking in!  Did i teach my own kids enough about patriotism and the TRUE history of our country?

I hereby pledge to teach my grandchildren to recite the pledge, to respect the flag, to remove their hat, and to show respect and love for their great country by placing their hand over their heart whenever they pledge or sing about the USA!  Will you join me?

2 comments:

  1. Very true Karen. Thankfully, in our little community, everyone...young and old knows how to respect the flag and all the symbols of our country. So proud to see them one and all standing and singing. We have a little 4 year old who sings it so well it would make you cry....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is so wonderful to here that there are still places in this country where people are actually proud to be americans!!! people here are so apathetic.

      Delete