Saturday, January 21, 2017

locating my pantry part 2

I have had a few different pantry locations over the years.

We lived in a house with a teeny, tiny kitchen, but the house had a basement (in new england its called a cellar)  which was dry.  bonus!

It was a perfect place to create my pantry.  I purchased metal shelving at the home improvement store and installed it along about twenty feet of the cellar wall. The metal shelving was the cheapest option at the time, however we had to be careful about weight distribution.  All of our dry storage, canned goods, and paper products were stored here. 

 At that time I estimated that we had about 4-6 months food stored for our family of five.  It was a very good feeling.  Our stores were always being used and replenished, especially when the grocery ran sales on items we used. 

Then we moved into a house with no cellar!  Our kitchen has a lot of cabinet (in new england they are called cupboards) space and a closet.  I decided to add shelves to the closet and hung a wire shelf unit on the inside of the door.  This closet can hold a lot of stuff, but it was still too small for serious food storage.  

 I purchased a large plastic shelf unit from the home improvement store.  I think it was 4 feet wide, 2 feet deep, and had 5 shelves.  I located it in a corner of the family room and bought fabric to make a cover for it so that it would blend into the room.  That  pantry could hold a surprisingly large amount of stuff!  Not nearly as much as in the cellar pantry, but enough so I had some security in the event of an ice storm or other disruption.

When we became empty nesters, the pantry moved into a closet in a spare bedroom.  This about doubled the size of our pantry.  We are able to keep our food stored in there, paper products, and emergency water jugs.  It is not as convenient as it could be, but what's a few extra steps each day?

Since it's just the two of us we still do try to keep the pantry well stocked.  I would estimate that we could store a few months worth of food in that pantry.  

Next up:  what is in my pantry?

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to find out what is in your pantry. I have never had enough food to last several months, but I think that is a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete