Tuesday, June 13, 2017

The clothesline

I have used a clothesline (aka solar dryer)  for my entire 57 years.  Well, my mom used it early on and then when I married and lived in a few places, I've always had access to a clothesline.


Using a clothesline is a lot more work than throwing the clothes into the dryer.  It also fades the clothes a bit (the dryer makes them loose fibers), not to mention the rough towels.

But the clothesline saves us LOTS of money every year.  In the winter I use it sometimes but mostly I use a drying rack and a wood stove.

It also satisfies my inner OCD.  I like to organize the clothes and hang them "just so"

Since I live in the country, the clothes just smell like fresh air.  Sometimes they may harbor an insect or two if I don't give them a good shake when I take them down.

There is just something about seeing a clothesline full of clean laundry swaying in the breeze.



2 comments:

  1. We have neighborhood covenants against clotheslines. I use drying racks sometimes but it is hard to get a full load of clothes on one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i got a drying rack at Ikea--it's huge and with careful organizing I can get a super load of laundry on it.

      Delete