Wednesday, May 31, 2017

ATTENTION!!!!

When will people realize that the person most deserving of their undivided attention, is the person that is physically right in front of them?

Everyone wants to believe that "screen addiction" is a modern problem.  I say that they (everyone who thinks that) is wrong.  When the television was invented and brought into our homes--that was the beginning of screen addiction.

I grew up in a home with one television. That was one too many. Some people grow up with several televisions-- this is the beginning of screen addiction.

When we choose to look at a screen and invest ourselves in the content there, and choose THAT over a conversation with someone right in front of us.....that is screen addiction.

Screen addiction is a very personal topic for me to discuss. Television, video, screens, etc have been responsible for the most unhappy times in my life. I can never be free of  the television  Evidently it is a permanent part of our life.  This is a struggle for me.  Most days I want to grab the shotgun and send that black box to kingdom come!

It is also a struggle for me to accept that my interests, stories, ideas, and dreams are not quite as riveting as those on the 24 hour news cycle. Maybe if I dyed my hair blonde and sat on the sofa while wearing a really short skirt showing lots of leg.....maybe then my story about tomatoes would be just as riveting?

.....ain't gonna happen.....

I am living a life in which I am trying to find solutions to the ills of the world.  Trying to protect myself, my home, and my family. This is so much more worthwhile an endeavor than living  life as a spectator watching all of the horrors and controversies of the world played out on a little screen. What does this accomplish?  What does this enable you to do?

Maybe you can converse about health care, walls, Comey, and nuclear bombs......

But I can grow tomatoes and potentially feed myself.

Which sounds like a better option to you?

Eh, when will I learn?

Is there a 12 step program for screen addiction?

We could sure use one around here.

4 comments:

  1. Having just found your blog, I'll share my story. We had a TV when we were first married, 32 years ago. We lived in farm country and my husband worked at least 12 hour days. I got hooked on 1 soap-opera...I hated it, but could not turn it off. Every episode they broke all 10 commandments! Finally after 2 weeks, which seemed like 2 months, I cried out to God with all of my heart to deliver me from these evil shows. Within 5 seconds the screen went black and a big puff of smoke came out of the back. There was still sound, but no picture. I was in shock! I said "Lord, I thought you'd give me the strength to turn it off!!!" Then I had the distinct impression that God knew me better than I knew myself. My electrical engineer husband took one look at it and said that the main board was cracked in half and it could not be fixed! Ever since then we've not had a TV. My husband reads a chapter from the Bible and a chapter from a Lamplighter book out-loud every night and we look forward to it! I do not miss the TV at all! Linn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i have prayed for no tv for 34 years. in june of this year, after this post was written, i gave my husband one more try. a year trial without. so we have no tv (cable or satellite) we can watch youtube and i signed up for pureflix (we don't watch it so i'm cancelling it) he still says he is not convinced its gone for good, but its a start.

      Delete
  2. PS. I don't do Social Media, just use a flip top phone, and listen to classical music and hymns...it's a Peaceful haven in our Home! Linn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i am on fb mostly because i met a bunch of women through this blog and its a way to connect. i keep it small and don't spend much time there. we also do not have smart phones. we must be tethered if we go online! I love your story about the tv. God is awesome!

      Delete