Tuesday, December 26, 2017

The day after......

I used to hear of people taking all of their Christmas decorations down on the day after Christmas.  I could never understand it.  Why bother in the first place?

I have come to the conclusion that they deep down are acknowledging the decadent, wasteful, carnality  of the typical American Christmas celebration, and they unknowingly need to cleanse themselves.  I have a lot of respect for these people.  They know there is a problem, but they just can't face it.  At least they can feel it.  The wrongness.

I always feel like I am in the minority in my bare bones Christmas.

*We don't have a tree.  I'm on the fence still about trees.  Will I ever figure it totally out?  Who knows!  I have a strong inclination to think on it as an idol of sorts.  If you have ever thought "it just can't be Christmas without a tree", then it might just be an idol.

*Gifts are minimal at best.  We do a family not-so-secret Santa gift exchange.  One gift per person, including children.  My husband and I also give each grandchild a gift.  We do not gift to each other, never have.  If you have ever thought "it just isn't Christmas without gifts"  then gifts might just be idols.

Are you getting the idea?

You can pretty much take any tradition and somehow make it about Christ if you really want to.  I don't want to.  Somehow I can't imagine how Black Friday Shopping is about our Messiah. 

My next statement will sound pretty strange to you based on what I have just shared:

I like Santa.  I am totally on board with childhood fantasies.  I don't think we should try and make him Christian.  He is fun! 

It's the blending of the carnal and the spiritual aspects of Christmas that I have trouble with.  The older I get the more I believe that Christmas should be more introspective, reverent, a down on your face in prayer kind of holiday. 

The tree, the piles and piles of gifts.  The excess in food and drink.  The gatherings that don't acknowledge the amazing thing God did for us.  He came for us!  He is with us!  The typical American Christmas does not reflect this. 

I still struggle at this time of year.  No tears this year, though.  I've come to terms with a lot of things in this life.  We were somewhat snowed in this Christmas Day.  Lots of  quiet.  Lots of time to think. 

What should a true celebration of our Messiah's first coming look like?

I've got a whole year to think on that.

Happy Day After!

2 comments:

  1. Greetings! I stopped sending Christmas cards about 20 years ago, and it was wonderful. We were never big on lots of gifts.
    Just homemade bread and cookies. Now our children are adults and we each make homemade cards with heartfelt sentiments in them for eachother...no other gifts. We have a simple fake tree with white lights, white berries and a star(I'm part Scandinavian), and a simple Nativity set. No gifts. We read about how God the Father celebrated the first Christmas in Luke, and so we remember God's greatest gift to mankind. I don't worship my tree or decorations. But with each holiday (like other birthdays) there are certain things that make it special. I can really understand getting rid of the "excesses" of Christmas and proclaiming Glory to God in the Highest...just as the angels did on that first Christmas! God bless you, Linn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. agreed. its only the excess and "have to's" that i have a problem with. thanks for commenting!

      Delete